BRIO Mobile

Description of OraStream BRIO - enabling seamless music enjoyment from any source on any device at highest quality possible
orastream
Site Admin

BRIO Mobile

Postby orastream » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:08 pm

If you are already set up to remotely connect to your BRIO desktop server (from a web browser), you can also do so with BRIO Mobile (iOS and Android) apps.

Using BRIO on mobile (app) however requires an annual subscription (S$40 per year - at current exchange rate; US$27 per year). Subscription is on BRIO desktop.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/brio-by ... 00137?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... brio&hl=en

Doctorsteve

Connecting

Postby Doctorsteve » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 am

Hi.

I've played music (stored on my laptop) through the BRIO player whilst on my laptop. I am unclear as to how I can access my music at home.

Do I have to have an actual home server, with my music stored on a hard drive that is hardwired to that server, so that I can access that music from anywhere via the mobile app? I'm just not understanding how I access my music by any other means than just through my laptop. I'm at LEAST as tech savvy as joe 6 pack. But if your diagram isn't helping me - plenty of others will need more detailed assistance as well.

Thanks, Steve
"Plan for the Possible, Prepare for the Probable, and always Expect the Unexpected."

orastream
Site Admin

Re: BRIO Mobile

Postby orastream » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

hi Steve

BRIO is a personal music server. When installed on a PC or Mac, the BRIO server software, turns the PC/MAC into an online music library that streams a user’s own music collection to other PCs, tablets or mobile phones.

To do so, BRIO looks for audio files stored in the PC/MAC and networked storage devices (connected to the PC/MAC). BRIO then organises the audio files to become an online music library. (Note that BRIO supports MP3, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, DSD except AAC (which is not supported in the Standard Plan on account of AAC licensing).

When you play a track on BRIO (installed on PC/MAC), it functions as audio player, i.e. it is local playback (no different from JRiver, Foobar, ROON audio player do). As the music library in the BRIO PC/MAC is now online, you can use a web browser on another PC to login to your account and access/stream from the music library. Alternatively, you can download the BRIO Mobile app to do the same (on the mobile app).

Sorry for the late reply - please let me know if this helps.

Thanks
Frankie

Tenpel

Postby Tenpel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am

Hi there,
it seems to be highly complicated and expensive too to get access to the purchased recordings on mobile phone, isn’t it?

I downloaded the Brio App for iOS mobile devices. It asks me to buy a subscription. There are two options one $30 the other $115. Is it right that I have to buy a yearly subscription to be able to listen to the purchased recordings on a mobile device?

If yes: 1) will the $30 subscription be sufficient to do that?
If yes: 2) Will it be possible to download the recordings on the local mobile device within the app or can I only stream the files within the app (which will created even more extra costs)?

Its seems also that the $30 subscription was in 2016 only $10 so it increased thrice as much. Imagine, I buy three records for $66 and have to pay yearly $30 to listen them on the mobile phone, do you think this is a good satisfying service to your customers? Is there no other way to access the purchased files on mobile phone without a yearly subscription?

Last and least I worked (more than 20 years ago) as a computer scientist, so there is still some basic understanding about things, yet I wonder how an average customer will understand the whole set up here. Maybe you write down in an extra thread how people can access their purchased files on mobile devices.

Thank you any way. I know this is all hard work!
But don’t make it too hard for us too ;-)
Thank you
_()_

orastream
Site Admin

Postby orastream » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi

The OraStream download (music) store is a separate mobile app. It is available as a free download in both iOS (Apple) and Android (Play) stores.

It requires the OraStream user to login and access his or her purchased (download) albums under the Purchased tab. Mobile users should also note the Settings page to configure user settings for bit-rate quality of live and cache streams (so as to minimize cellular data usage).

Do note that users who wish to access/stream download purchases on a mobile app need not use the BRIO app. We regret it is confusing to have two (2) mobile apps; however, they are separate and different services.

Regards
Frankie

Tenpel

Postby Tenpel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi

thank you for your very quick replies and the very good service when I contacted the customer service via email.
This was all very helpful and satisfying.

A last thing:

Do note that users who wish to access/stream download purchases on a mobile app need not use the BRIO app. We regret it is confusing to have two (2) mobile apps; however, they are separate and different services.

When I get this correctly, this means to be able to use downloaded recordings of the purchases on mobile phone via your services is only possible via brio app, and the brio app can only be used via a yearly subscription of at least $30. This means for people who have very bad or unstable internet connections and for whom streaming doesn’t work very well, the only opportunity via your services to listen to the purchased recordings offline is by paying an additional yearly fee. :(

For me this is not a good experience to say it frankly. I purchased the recordings (and had in mind to purchase more) because the Neil Young Archive (which is still for free) doesn’t work for me because of the very bad internet connection in my village here in Italy. (No matter if I set his site to the 320 bit rate or not.) The songs always stopped. To have a better experience I thought to by the Hi Res recordings in order to be able to listen to them without interruption offline – not being anymore dependent on a good internet connection once downloaded. OK, this didn’t work.

My suggestion or request would be: please add a feature to the ORA app (the one without subscription) to download purchases in order to be able to listen to them also offline. For the time being I found a workaround via FLACBOX and import to that app via Google Drive (alternative also Dropbox etc.) – in case anyone faces a similar problem.

Nevertheless, again, thank you for the services and apps and your hard work and good customer service.

Tenpel

Postby Tenpel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Just as an additional information for people with similar problems.
I try now to get the purchases on my mobile phone via FLACBOX. They have luckily also a WIFI-drive, so that you can connect laptop and iPhone via WIFI connection and upload the files into the FLACBOX app / mobile phone. So, this turnaround works for me and now I am fine.

orastream
Site Admin

Postby orastream » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Tempel

Thanks for the suggestions.

The OraStream mobile app is the free companion app for the OraStream music store app - OraStream customers who purchased albums (downloads) from the OraStream store can download this free app to access/stream their purchased album(s) on an iOS or Android device. Note that since a copy of the purchased album is saved in the user's cloud account, s/he can login on PCs and mobile devices to access/listen to the purchases via streaming. We are planning to update this companion app and will include an option for users to store a full lossless quality, cache file in-app for off-line playback. Presently, the highest cache file quality setting is limited at 320 kbps quality for off-line, mobile playback. This is so given the limited storage capacities on phones and the storage requirements for lossless files.

[i"]When I get this correctly, this means to be able to use downloaded recordings of the purchases on mobile phone via your services is only possible via brio app, and the brio app can only be used via a yearly subscription of at least $30. This means for people who have very bad or unstable internet connections and for whom streaming doesn’t work very well, the only opportunity via your services to listen to the purchased recordings offline is by paying an additional yearly fee."[/i]

To this question, you cannot use downloaded recordings of the purchases on mobile phone in OFFLINE mode with BRIO Mobile subscription. BRIO Mobile does not support in-app caching for off-line playback. BRIO Mobile is a mobile player/remote controller that works with the desktop BRIO music library/server application for high res audio content. All playback listening on BRIO Mobile is by streaming audio only.

Return to “BRIO by OraStream”